Sunday, December 26, 2010

More 2010 Creations

After making the Barbie wedding party, I felt like taking a little break from doll gowns. We still are using two afghans in our great room that I made many years ago and that are now falling apart and need to be replaced. Near the bottom of page 5 of my site's crochet section is a pic of a tri-color puff stitch ripple baby afghan. I enjoyed making this pattern very much and decided I wanted to use it to make a full-size ghan for our great room. I used TLC Heathers yarn in burgundy, teal and purple.

Then it was back to dolls for awhile. I crocheted a simple but elegant sage green outfit with gold and peach accents using a pattern called "Corrine's Sporting Suit" from the Ladies of Fashion series. As with the wedding party outfits, I used Opera #10 thread. I actually didn't crochet her companion's outfit till a few months later. Here are their front and back views.

In between the two above dolls came the second most ambitious gown I have made (the bride being first). This gown features six ruffled layers in her skirt, a striped jacket, and a belt with about 30 little tassels. It's a Paradise pattern called "1875 Mother's Sunday Frock". I really enjoyed creating this lovely lady! I used Opera #10 in wood violet and tea rose. Front and back views:

My friend Dianne and I had seen the "Itty Bitty Babies" dolls and booklets of crochet outfits for them in our shopping trips and thought they were the cutest things. I finally had to go ahead and buy two of the dollies (the first pic below) and one of the pattern books. The second two dollies' outfits were created a few months later (before the above Ken doll). All were made using various shades of Opera #10.

Dianne and I will be having a belated Christmas in January, and the doll below will be one of her presents. (I don't have to worry about her seeing it ahead of time, since she hardly ever goes online, totally unlike me!) I saw a book of Victorian outfits for a larger 15" fashion doll on eBay, so I bought the book and also found the perfect old-fashioned doll on eBay. The doll with this outfit in the book was named Marabel, and I think it suits her! I used TLC Heathers in Teal and Bernat Berella 4 in Rich Pink. Front and back views:

I then took a little break from the dolls and spent a little time crocheting baby afghans. I sold a couple of them to my boss' mother. I didn't take pictures of them, but I used some of my same favorite patterns, examples of which are shown throughout my Comfort N'Joy crochet section on my site: diagonal brick stitch, puff ripple, spiderweb, fanfare, mayfair, and pineapple. Then a few weeks ago, a lady I see on my ferry commute to work asked if I would crochet a tea cozy for her pot. I had never made one, but felt it would be fun and easy and saw a lot of cute patterns online. But when she lent me her pot to fit the cozy onto, it was shaped more like a mini-coffeepot than a teapot. So I ended up making up the cozy as I went along! I used three shades of Knit Picks "Shine" yarn, a blend of cotton and modal which is ideal for kitchen items (as well as apparel). Here are the after and before pics:

The past few weeks, I've been crocheting Christmas doilies and lacy covers for Cnristmas ornaments. I haven't photographed those yet, so they will get posted sometime in 2011!

1 comment :